Saturday, January 26, 2013

Here we go again...

     I love to write.  I do.  I live, work, and play within a three mile radius, so I struggle occasionally with feeling lost within the humdrum rut of a daily, all too small, routine.  However, amazingly.. whenever I write, whenever I pour out my thoughts with a pen or a keyboard onto a blank paper or screen, the depth comes fumbling right back in.  After a hiatus, my sentiments may be unclear, or my vocabulary unelevated, but I can sense it coming back.. my love and supposed affinity for the written word. 
     I used to have a blog and while I wasn't a very prolific author, my words seemed to be well received.  My blog got a lot of views and at one point I was approached by a few advertisers; however, the little voice in the back of my head assured me that writing was vain. "Who do you think you are?" it asked... "why do you value your own thoughts enough to make them public? Keep them in your head where they belong." Furthermore, I changed a lot. My belief systems were in a process of evolution. Reading back over some older posts I didn't recognize my own thoughts, which scared the crap out of me. So simple as that... I stopped. One year ago. 
     However, inspiration has struck and the only option I have is to write about it. Typing is faster than handwriting and my thoughts are moving at a pace that even my typing hands can barely keep up with. This blog, then, is a result of my stumbled upon passion for life, and perhaps this fervency will be enough to keep me writing. I'm desperate for it. This past weekend I had the profound opportunity to meet one of my favorite authors, humanitarians, and philosophers... Tom Shadyac, who convinced me that my life changes when I change.  He asked me simply "What do you love to do?" I said "Write." He said something along the lines of "Then that is your duty to the world." I truly believe that the world's redemption lies in the hands of those who have come alive, who seek what they love. 
     Now to the voice of my doubt I say "leave".  Simple as that.  I want to be a writer and I am confident that the written word has the power to be a weapon for positive change on the small blue dot we call home.  Humanity is the most highly evolved species, gifted with the divine task of literature so write I will. I vow to use my words and my little corner of the internet to spread compassion and provoke thought... even if my mother is the only reader. I love you universe. 

4 comments:

  1. You have a daily, life-long reader in me. You were made for this. I'm so happy you woke up 40 years before I finally did. I'm thankful to be awake to my own life. Finally. I look forward to being taught by you. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever stop writing I'm gonna punch you. Your thoughts are beautiful and the way to articulate them even better. You were made to to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your former babysitter will be joining your mother... and scores of others, I reckon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crosby! You have such a gift for writing...I am glad you are 'picking up your pen" again! I love to read your heart, which you express better than most....I look forward to reading your journey, your soul, your passion! love you....

    ReplyDelete